The Benefits of (MINT) Social Media
We are often asked the following question by potential clients, “can you explain the benefits of Social Media to a business, like mine”? So we have put together some information below, to answer this very valid question.
Lets start with some stats:
- 8 out of 10 Small and Medium Sized Businesses use Social Media for their business to drive growth. Do you?
- Social Marketing budgets are expected to double over the 5 year period 2013 to 2018. Is yours?
- 3 out 5 Small and Medium Sized Business say they have gained new customers using Social Media. Have you?
- 67% of Twitter users are more likely to buy from the Brands they follow on Twitter. Are you active On Twitter?
- 74% of consumers rely on Social Media to influence their purchasing decisions. Wow!
Enhance your trustworthiness
Think of it this way. If you have links to your Social Media profiles on your website, but you rarely post quality content - i.e. your Social Media profiles are inactive - this will clearly damage your reputation. You will be better off deleting your Social Media profiles right now and remove the links from your website, if you have no intention of staying active on Social Media.
However, if you develop active Social Media profiles and grow targeted audiences this acts as Social Proof that your business is worthy of trust and clearly displays that you are ‘open for business’. Your potential clients will be re-assured and you are more likely to win business.
Social Media is a major factor in boosting your SEO
There are so many reasons why a professional Social Media presence benefits your SEO, here are some of them:
- Search Engines are constantly working on making their results ever more personalized so that their search results will contain more content directly relevant to you, either based on location, past behavior, or the people you know, trust and have a relationship with. There is no better way than Social Media to provide this information to Search Engines.
- Search Engines like Google used to rely on in-bound links as a sign of authority. This was abused with SEO’s flooding the internet with false links. True Social Media authority is much harder to ‘fake’ - so Social Media signals are a much better way for Search Engines to assess website / web page authority.
- Google+ is Google’s own Social Network. An active Google+ profile sends valuable Social Signals to Google which makes Google more likely to rank your website in organic search. Google+ helps your SEO. This is just logical.
- When you post content on your website - sharing it to your Social Media audience helps you to gain viral reach - and when people like / share / favourite / +1 your content or your main URL you gain an SEO benefit.
- Tools such as mention.net pick up mentions of your Brand anywhere on the web (including on Social Media) within seconds and assess whether the setiment is positive, negative or neutral. Imagine how much more powerful Google, Bing and Yahoo are at picking up data relating to mentions of your Brand? Active Social Media profiles help to grow your Brand mentions online, no matter how big or small you are.
Here is a great resource which explains, “How social signals impact Search Engine rankings’ -> http://www.quicksprout.com/2014/01/31/how-social-signals-impact-search-engine-rankings/
If you would like to check out how your website rates in Social Shares compared to your competitors, click the following link and add your home page URL and that of your competitors -> http://www.sharedcount.com/dashboard.php
Getting ahead of (or keeping up with) your competitors
What business doesn’t like to get ahead of their competitors?! Your competitors are on Social Media, right? Maybe your competitors are not doing a great job, and Social Media presents an opportunity for you to gain a competitive advantage (with some help from us!).
If your competitors are smashing it on Social Media - then even more reason why you need to step your Social Media forward to help bridge the gap.
Build An Audience ‘ASSET’
Targeted Social Media audiences are assets to your business. Similar to growing an email list, when you grow a targeted Social Media audience, you grow a ‘list’ of potential clients who are more likely to engage with your business, tell their friends etc...
Increase Online Exposure
There is no doubt that Social Media helps to enhance your overall online presence. Not everyone will see or engage with your content / posts all of the time. However, there is a simple equation.
Audience Size x Post Frequency = Reach
So the greater the size of your targeted audience and the more often (within reason) you post - the more likely you are to get noticed.
It was thought in traditional advertising that a potential customer had to see your Ad 7 times before they would take action. The same is true with Social Media. You have to be consistent to make it work.
Return on investment
You’ll never see a better return on investment than a well run social media campaign. Google is now returning social media results in amongst it’s search results and Twitter and Facebook have literally hundreds of millions of users. You can get access to this market for a tiny monthly investment when compared to other marketing channels.
This goes hand in hand with SEO – because Google will be giving you more traffic – but as your social media campaign grows and matures you will also see more and more direct traffic from the social networks.